Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Even the Nation's Leaders Testify that Jesus is the Christ

I LOVE being a missionary. This week has been so incredible and literally full of so many miracles that I wish I had time to tell you about every single one. This place is ON FIRE. and the work truly is hastening in every aspect of the word. Just as Nephi saw in the Book of Mormon, we are seeing so many "tender mercies" and so many MIRACLES happening right and left. It has literally been the most exciting time of my life. I love these people. I love God. I love this work. I love this language. I am pretty sure we will all be speaking Spanish in the Heavens. It is beautiful.

MIRACLE. after MIRACLE. after MIRACLE. I seriously feel like I am living in the scriptures or some epic "last days" movie. Wait a second! We are!! We have modern-day revelation and the work is hastening. God NEVER changes, so we are LIVING and breathing God's mercy, love and words everyday if we choose to do so! :) And these are the last days....so live it. Give ALL of you to God.

Miracle #1: Ever wondered what it would be like to teach a lesson with a Senator of the United States???? Last preparation day we had the opportunity to have a private tour of the capitol. My amazing companion used to be a page for the USA senate, and she was able to hook us up with a private tour of the building. Well, it just so happened that our page that was giving us the tour is the nephew of Senator Hatch (Utah's Senator). We just strolled into his office, and there we were! Sitting in his BEAUTIFUL office talking about life. We were there for a while. He is an incredible man, and such a great leader! He asked about our lives and told us all about his life as a senator. (Wants me to possibly intern next summer...hahaha) Then, I felt prompted to ask a question. "What!?" I thought to myself. I didn't think that I would have the guts to ask. But we had a non-member page with us as well, and I thought that we could take advantage of the perfect missionary opportunity. I asked Senator Hatch, "Senator, you served a mission. How has it blessed your life and also your career as a Senator?" His response was absolutely beautiful. He said, "I would never trade my mission for what I am doing now, although being a senator is very important." We then started teaching the non-member page about the church, and describing who we are as missionaries. It was incredible to hear Senator Hatch testify of Christ and teach what the church means to him and his work. We worked together to teach a powerful lesson. WHAT A MIRACLE!!! What an experience! Teaching a lesson in the Capitol building with Senator Hatch acting as the member present. Once in a life time? Probably. Senator Hatch is an amazing leader and powerful man, but yet even he recognizes the need for Our Savior Jesus Christ, and realizes the eternal perspective that life is more than power, money and politics. God's love and laws ALWAYS trump the laws of the land. No matter how corrupt any government or societal bounds may get, GOD IS CONSTANT and will always be. That is why we should always build our lives around Him. Life is about becoming and getting closer to Him. What an incredible experience. (also, the tour of the USA capitol was BREATHTAKING....I want to live there someday.) What a beautiful thought it is to know that even leaders of our nation bear witness that Jesus is the Christ, and wish that they were doing full time what we are doing now as missionaries.

Miracle #2: Bryan Huarita was supposed to get baptized this past Sunday, but we switched it to this Saturday so more people can come!! WAHOOOO! HE PASSED HIS INTERVIEW!!! After 10 years of taking the missionary discussions he is finally getting baptized this Saturday! What a miracle. I am starting to understand what it means to have a "change of heart." Bryan is a prime example of that. He has changed completely and is so much happier now. That is what happens when we let ourselves change through the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Miracle #3: Remember Nancy? She went from being super involved with gangs and drugs to being baptized? Well she is one of the greatest missionaries I know. GUESS WHO WE ARE TEACHING?!!? Her entire family now! It has been the most incredible thing ever. Dana, her little sister wants to be baptized in this next month!! YAY! And also when we first started teaching Nancy, her mom was super hard, but now she is softening so much and she too wants to learn and be baptized. What a miracle! The Lord is softening their hearts and they are coming closer to Christ! What is even more incredible is that Nancy's change has influenced her neighbors as well. Her best friend Carlos and her mom Pati have been wanting us to come and teach them, and they are Golden. They say that they have noticed a drastic change in Nancy, and want the same change in their own lives! WOAH!

Miracle #4: We had 5 investigators at church this week!!!! WAHOOOOO!! Byron Castillo, who we have been working on for 4 months now....FINALLY came to church! It was nothing short of a miracle and a lot of prayer and inviting. :) He is a 14 year old, whose mom is a member. Even after we rapped to him a Gospel rap he wouldn't come. But we kept trying and never gave up. and he FINALLY came! I literally started jumping and dancing when I saw him walking up to the church! What a miracle. Roberto (to be baptized in April), Byron Leonardo (to be baptized this month), Ana Orellana (to be baptized soon), Bryan Huarita (to be baptized this Saturday) and Byron Castillo where ALL there. It was sacred. I am so happy for all of them. They are all changing and coming to Christ.

Miracle #5: Tracting with the Giant Book of Mormon is probably my favorite thing to do. Whenever it is warm outside, we pray about a place that we are supposed to go street contact. Then we fill our bags with Book of Mormons and then we start to walk. People are drawn too us. It is a GREAT conversation starter..."Why are you wearing a gigantic box?" "Let me tell you about a Book that has changed my life." It works like a charm every time. We have found a ton of investigators through this tactic. :) I love preaching the Gospel. Everything about it. But, finding is STILL my favorite. People are incredible.

We have been busy presenting at zone conference and helping other missionaries reach their potential! I love these people so much! And seeing how the mission changes and shapes people has been such and incredible experience. I really have loved serving these sister missionaries as a sister training leader. We learn so much together and push each other to be the best people that we possibly can be. I am learning so much from them and from watching their examples.

Transfers are this week. My wonderful companion and best friend/compadre will be returning home to Bountiful, Utah. She is a hero. She has been such a light in my life and she will forever be a legend here in this mission. She has changed so many lives for good, and I can't wait to see what she does back home. Look her up, she is pretty incredible---(Hermana) Allie Louise Dopp. That's a name I will never forget. She has impacted my life for good and I am so happy and honored to have had the opportunity to serve with her. I wish her the best of luck as she goes back home to continue sharing her light with all those who are around her. She is one that will hopefully be apart of my life forever. I am really excited about transfers and to see what they bring, but also very sad about loosing one of my best friends. We have had a LOT of crazy, amazing and wonderful adventures together! Best wishes to her! I love ya, Hermanita!

Juan Gonzalez, our recent convert, spoke at a fireside! It was incredible! He spoke about how the Gospel has changed his life and his entire family. I am so HAPPY for him. He is an incredible man.

Thanks for all your love, support, letters, emails and prayers. You AMAZE me. Just remember, Jesus Christ lives. And because He lives you can live in peace and happiness. Don't carry burdens around anymore....give it to Him.

STAND STRONG.

Hermana Weenig

We had the opportunity to meet with Senator Hatch, the current senator for the state of Utah in his office in the Capitol building!! WOW! The page giving us the tour was his nephew. We had a non-member with us and we taught a member-present lesson with Senator Hatch. He said he would never trade his mission for what he is doing now.
Hermana Dopp and I on the balcony of the USA capitol building. This is the spot that they do the the PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATION. :) WOW!
The beautiful Capitol
Liberty Bell Replica.
These are the two pages that gave us a tour! It was so fun to go with pages, because we had unlimited access to all parts of the capitol. As we went though the tour it was so cool to brush shoulders with members of congress. WOW.


Fun to walk through the signs that said, "Senators only."

Private tour of the USA capitol

An ancient bath-tub in the USA capitol, where senators bathed back in the day!
 BRYAN passed his interview and signed the papers!! He is ready for baptism and we are all so excited! :)
Byron came to church for the first time in 3 years!

Our zone had a SAMOAN feast....yes, that is a real pig. and Yes, we ate it. WOW.

A real Samoan cutting a pig Samoan style.

 Rachel and Nefy. Rachel is FINALLY getting baptized! HOORAY!!!

Learning how to make HAND made tortillas with our investigator Pati from Honduras.

No comments:

Post a Comment