Monday, September 16, 2013

Joy

I love being a missionary. I seriously can't thank you all enough for giving me this opportunity to forget about myself for 18 months and give all I have to the Lord. But you know something? Life is never easy; and I am learning to be SO grateful that it is not. Heavenly Father loves me and all of us enough to let us go through hard times so that we can grow. And growing is never really actually that fun, but it is so incredible to see who you become if you trust the Lord and lean on Him. Step into the dark, forget about what you want or what the world thinks of you---focus on what He wants and what He wants you to be. Then, the picture and the purpose of life is SO much clearer. Then, and only then will you experience sheer joy. The real kind. I am not talking about the "I just won a million dollars" or whatever. I am talking about happiness. The real stuff.  As I have served, studied and worked in the Lord's vineyard this past week, I have learned so much. Not only about how to teach, Spanish and working with others, but who I am as a daughter of God--what I stand for and who I am. But, I think one of the most important things that hit my like a ton of bricks this week was HOW to enjoy life.  Love. That is the answer. Real love. Loving God more than you love life itself, fame, school, fortune, titles, things, music and everything. Love who you are. Love who the Lord wants you to be. Love living the way He wants you to live, then you have Joy. 

Sometimes missionary life (and life) is tougher than nails and everything falls through and the person that was going to be baptized tonight leaves to New York...haha (not funny.) Juana's baptism was scheduled and ready to go today, but she informed us just yesterday that there had been a change of plans. But she said she will be back in a week, so we will have the baptism then....that is, if she doesn't decide to just stay there (who knows). The relief society responded so quickly to their situation though. Their family had no job, no food, and nothing. And they have little kids. The little kids hadn't eaten in days. I have such a testimony of the Relief Society...the next day after we let the president know about their situation, there was food filling their kitchen. I have never seen a family more grateful. We showed up that day and Juana and Vanessa were in tears. They couldn't stop giving us besitos and kissing our hands telling us "thank you." It wasn't us, it was the Church. This Church is incredible. They really do give to the poor and help the hurting souls. Juana calls us angels, and says that there is absolutely nothing stopping her from getting baptized. Being in that lesson with her after, we realized that the Spirit had touched her heart and changed her. She went from being a die-hard Catholic to preparing for baptism next week. Amazing. The Lord works in mysterious ways, and the Church is incredible because it is centered on Christ. Which means helping and serving all those in need.
Hermana Wilcox is starting to talk in the gift of tongues...perfect Spanish! And I am so happy for her! All of this Spanish-ness is paying off!! Slowly....but surely! I am so proud of Hermana Wilcox she is an amazing missionary, and I am so glad I have had the chance to work with her!
We went to the Nationals game this past week. What a BLAST. It was super funny though, because all of us missionaries where blasted with the world--music, sports, mascots, people, drinks--you name it. We probably seemed super awkward, and I forgot how CRAZY the world is. But what a sight we were! It was both the Washington D.C. South and North missions so there was about 500 missionaries at this major league baseball game! And what was even cooler is that we were all there in our skirts, and white shirts and ties! People noticed us. They showed us on the jumbo-tron like a million times and we had a lot of people come up and ask us who we were and what we represent. AMAZING! There is a Mormon guy on the team and so it was really cool to be able to cheer and support him. This was for the "Day of Service" that Washington D.C. is doing, so it was really cool to represent the Church on a national level. The lady that checked our tickets told us that "the missionaries glow! whatever you have you ought to give it to the whole world, because they need it!" Cool, right?
We had the coolest experience just yesterday with a member referral. Sister Palmer called us and said, "Hey, my neighbor is Hispanic and she is not a member of the church. I gave her a Book of Mormon and invited her to a lesson, can you be here Sunday at 7:00?" I almost started crying because I was so happy! What an amazing member! We as members should all be like that woman--Unafraid to share the gospel. The lesson went amazingly. Having lessons in the homes of members is golden. The Spirit is already there and the member can testify powerfully. It was amazing to see Lida (the woman from Peru) open up to the Gospel. She is so excited to learn more and said that she wants to read the WHOLE book of Mormon. WOAH! And there is a member there to help her every step of the way. Never forget...you as a member of the church are KEY to this great work.
We had Zone Conference this week and we learned the power of prayer and receiving personal revelation. Prayer is our access to be guided in the exact direction God needs us to be in. As I have seen the investigators pray, specifically Reina who is PRAYING like crazy to find a new job so she can come to church...I have seen miracles happen. Doors of opportunity open. God provides a way for you to do what you need to.
Jacqueline wanted a priesthood blessing this week (our recent convert), and the Elders gave her an incredible blessing. Afterwards, she said she felt like she was on fire and was sweating because of how happy she felt. I have never heard anyone refer to the Holy Ghost as making them sweat, but it did for her. :) Amazing that we have the priesthood power again on the earth.
Anyways, it is starting to get chilly here in D.C.! But it makes for less-sweaty bike riding. I still love everything. A lot. I am so happy and healthy. It is just REALLY sad when people don't want to change or make commitments. That is ok, they have their own agency. I can't control them, but I can control me. Thanks so much for all of your support, love, prayers and EVERYTHING. You are always in my thoughts and my prayers. I hope you have an incredible week and remember who you are and to serve. 
STAND STRONG.
Hermana Weenig
 Karen, who was baptized 2 weeks ago, and we are now teaching her mom! She taught us how to make the El Salvadoraian food "papusas." DEEElicious!
Vanessa and her beautiful family! I love them so much, and I will miss them! I wish them the best in New York. What an amazing miracle with the Relief Society though! :)
Sister Wilcox, me, Sister Rasband, Sister Dopp and Sister Crazier! All of the Spanish speaking sisters in my district at the game! What a blast!

 Bryce Harper up to bat. He is a Mormon! WOAH!






No comments:

Post a Comment